What is an abnormal load?
In the UK an ‘abnormal load’ is a vehicle that has any of the following 4 attributes:
- a weight of more than 44,000kg (44 tonne)
- an axle load of more than 10,000kg (10 tonne) for a single non-driving axle and 11,500kg (11.5 tonne) for a single driving axle.
- a width of more than 2.9 metres.
- a rigid length of more than 18.65 metres.
If you plan on transporting an abnormal load in the UK a request must be submitted via ESDAL (Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads) providing the authorities at least 2 clear working days and up to 5 days for some road and bridge authorities.
In the UK you will need to register your vehicle’s trailer and obtain a trailer keeper’s certificate.
It may also be necessary to arrange an escort vehicle to escort your vehicle and load.
Further useful resources:
- Registering trailers
- Obtain an abnormal load trailer keeper’s certificate
- Aide Memoire – Abnormal Loads
EAL Logistics Ltd, specialise in supporting hauliers with their abnormal load (convoy exceptionnel) logistics and can assist with all regulatory paperwork and legal requirements. Contact us to learn more on +441243828040 firstname.lastname@example.org.